Apr 25, 2009

Journey in Ubuntu jaunty (9.04)

After I use Ubuntu 8.10 on the office workstation, I start dreaming one Ubuntu laptop. It the right time now, because of the new release of Ubuntu 9.04 - Jaunty!

1. Install the Ubuntu 9.04 to my external USB disk.
Yes, here, I install Ubuntu on my EXTERNAL USB disk, because this T60 laptop belongs to the corporation I am working for, and Windows XP has occupied the whole disk.
BTW, if you wanted to be very safe, you can disconnect the internal disk when you are installing Ubuntu to the external USB disk, just like me. In this way, you do not want to care the magic device number assigned to the external USB disk by Ubuntu installer.
I ever installed RHEL AS 4 on this external USB disk using the same T60 laptop, that was totally a craft. After installation, the init ram could be loaded by grub but it could not go ahead because it does not have the driver of USB disk. So, I had to add serveral kernel modules about USB external disk to one config file, re-compile and re-package the init ram. After 4 hours googling, testing, I finally got the RHEL AS 4 ready and then I forgot all the steps after one week. Today, when I need one Linux on external USB disk again, I choose Ubuntu and think maybe it can be easier after 2 years. I am right, the whole process is same as that of installing on internal disk, except that I choose the external disk as target.
Wow, the boot-up becomes even more faster than Intrepid and now, it detects my WIFI home network and is asking me for the password. Oh, what is it...?

2. Choose one best repository mirror in Synaptic.
I live in Beijing, so the default mirror is one server in China, but it is so slow.... For better experience in the future, the Synaptic chooses one mirror with ".de" as suffix. The download becomes much faster after that.

3. Install additional language supports
Of course, I choose "Chinese". It is really easy and smooth.

4. Install the firefox flash plugin
Go to any web site having flash content, such as sina, one dialogue of firefox pops up for choice of flash plugin to be installed, I choose the Adobe flash plugin.

5. Add software repository
In "Ubuntu Software" tab of Synaptic's repository setting dialogue, make sure the main, universe, restricted, and multiverse sources are all checked (or ticked).
In "Third-Party Software" tab of Synaptic's repository setting dialogue, make sure the partner sources is checked (or ticked).
Add medibuntu

6. Install "ubuntu-restricted-extras" in Synaptic to play restricted media format
Many packages will be downloaded and installed.

7. Some additional software installed with apt-get install:
vim, gvim - well known editor
xchm - chm reader
perl-doc - documentation of Perl
filezilla - ftp client
mplayer, w32codecs libdvdcss2, mozilla-mplayer plugin - for video
gparted - one tool to manage the partition
audacious, - a mp3 player similiar to the xmms
manpages-dev, glibc-doc - man page for C development on Linux
libstdc++6-4.3-doc - html doc of the C++ Standard Library

8. Software installed with "Add/Remove Application"
NVIDIA X Server Settings
K3b
Umbrello

9. Setting of the audacious
Do not forget to choose "ALSA Output Plugin" as the current output plugin in "Preference->Audio" setting panel.

Refer to "10 Tips for After You Install or Upgrade Ubuntu"

No comments:

Post a Comment